Electric cooperatives are different than other utilities. As your locally owned electric co-op, KIUC’s business plan involves giving back to the community. One way KIUC does this is through the National Rural Electric Cooperative Association’s Washington, D.C. Youth Tour.
Every June since the late 1950s, high school students have been sponsored by local electric cooperatives to visit Washington, D.C. KIUC sends students to the nation’s capital because it is important to the long-term prosperity of our community for the leaders of tomorrow to learn about the political process. Youth Tour participants return to Kauai as stronger leaders, with confidence they can make a difference.
Youth Leadership Council
Representatives of the cooperative community's brightest youth gather in Washington, D.C. for the annual Youth Leadership Conference. Each youth is chosen by his or her state delegation while attending the Youth Tour.
The purpose of the YLC is to build leadership skills, public speaking skills, and enhance delegates' knowledge of the energy industry and the cooperative form of business. These students also make presentations at their statewide and local cooperative annual meetings.
The representatives have the opportunity to attend and participate in the resolutions process during NRECA's Annual Meeting. The YLC also selects a national spokesperson to address the membership at the Annual Meeting and Youth Tour delegates the following year.
The Application Process
• Only high school juniors from Kauai are eligible to participate.
• Complete an application and submit it to your high school counselor. If you are homeschooled or attend a private school with no counselor, please contact KIUC if interested.
• High schools will select up to five students to participate in an interview process. Counselors must submit applications, check with your counselor for school deadlines.
• Students will be interviewed on January 16, 2017. You will be notified of your interview time.
• Four students will be selected to attend the 2017 trip and participate in KIUC's Youth Leadership Council.